Summer Reading Table Volunteers
During the summer, students going into grades 6 - 9 can apply for a position as a Summer Reading Table Volunteer. These volunteers work two hours per week at the Summer Reading Table, registering children to participate in the Summer Reading Program, and handing out prizes.
WHAT WILL I BE DOING AS A SUMMER READING TABLE VOLUNTEER?
Examples of SRT volunteer activities:
- Explaining the summer reading program rules and prizes to children and their parents
- Filling out registration cards for summer reading participants
- Recording the progress of summer readers
- Handing out prizes, raffle tickets and coupons to summer readers
- Restocking prizes and coupons and sorting raffle tickets
WHAT WILL I GET OUT OF IT?
- An opportunity to learn and practice a variety of job-related skills
- Satisfaction from knowing that you are helping to promote reading in your community
- Something different and interesting to do
- An opportunity to meet new people
- Volunteer service hours
- An invitation to a pizza party at the end of the summer
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO BE A SUMMER READING TABLE VOLUNTEER?
Students going into 6th-9th grade in the Fall, who have a valid Elmhurst Public Library card
- who are applying because they want to, not because their parents are making them do it
- who are responsible and trustworthy
HOW MANY SUMMER READING VOLUNTEERS ARE ACCEPTED INTO THE PROGRAM? The library registers 108 summer reading volunteers, and 20 substitutes. All volunteers, including substitutes, must attend one of three training sessions at the end of May.
Download the Application
More questions? Visit or call the Help Desk in the Kids' Library at 279-8696.