During the school year, middle school students can apply for a position as General Assistant in the Kids' Library. General Assistants help the librarians with chores such as making nametags for storytimes, cleaning books, stapling, and pulling books from the shelves for displays. General Assistants work one hour a week, for 8 weeks. These positions are also available during the summer.
WHAT WILL I BE DOING AS A GENERAL ASSISTANT?
General Assistants work one hour per week, for ten weeks. They assist the library staff in the Kids' Library to complete a variety of chores, such as preparing craft materials, pulling books for display, and cleaning books.
WHAT WILL I GET OUT OF IT?
- An opportunity to learn and practice a variety of job-related skills
- Satisfaction from knowing that you are helping your community
- Something different and interesting to do
- An opportunity to meet new people
- Volunteer service hours
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO BE A GENERAL ASSISTANT? Middle School students (in the summer, students going into 6th - 9th grade in Fall 2012),
- who have a valid Elmhurst Public Library card
- who are applying because they want to, not because their parents are making them do it
- who are responsible and trustworthy
HOW DO I APPLY?
Applications are available at the Help Desk in the Kids' Library or you can download one by clicking here.