Using Computers at the Elmhurst Public Library
Using Your Laptop
A Note on Filtering
The Elmhurst Public Library has 80 computers available to the public as well as internet plug-ins and a wireless network throughout the building.
Never select [Remember me] or any other username/password saving function.
Save to the hard drive at your own risk. The hard drive is erased when the computer is shut down. You must bring your own flash drive. Items saved to the hard drive may be accessed by subsequent computer users. Please delete any files that you add to the hard drive.
Patrons working on sensitive material may restart their computer when done working. Close all windows when you leave your computer.
To Print from a Library Computer:
- Select print. Choose either the black/white or color printer.
- After a moment, a window requesting a user name will appear. Enter a user name of your choice.
- Go to the print release station (on the floor where you are working). Look for your print job, which will be listed by the user name you previously entered.
- Select your user name and click on the job you wish to print. Pay with cash or with your library printing card balance.
Your print job will be deleted from the print release station after 4 hours.
How do I print?
To Print from Home or from a Mobile Device or Laptop
1. Click on the print icon located on top of the website homepage, near the Popular Links drop-down menu.
2. On the next screen, do the following:
- choose either the BW (black/white) or color printer;
- type in a user name of your choice;
- select the document from your device or paste in a website address that you wish to print.
3. Indicate the number of copies and/or a specific range of pages to print. Click the right arrow in the lower right corner.
4. Wait a few moments. When the green button appears at the bottom right, click it to send your print job.
6. Go to a Library print release station, and look for your print job. It will be listed by the user name you previously entered.
7. Select your user name and click on the job you wish to print. Pay with cash or with your library printing card balance.
Your print job will be deleted from the print release station after 16 hours.
We do not recommend purchasing/downloading music through sources like iTunes on the public computers. We are not responsible for any issues or losses you might experience.
USING YOUR LAPTOP
You will need: A WiFi-enabled device
–SSID: Elm-Library (case sensitive)
–IP or network settings: DHCP enabled or obtain IP address automatically.
Security: WiFi (wireless access) poses similar risks to your personal information as other Internet connections.
Plug-in: Elmhurst Public Library is 802.3 compatible running an Internet Protocol (IP) based network. You can find plug-in locations in tables, in carrels and near lounge chairs throughout the library.
- You will need: a laptop computer, Network Interface Card (NIC) with an RJ45 Connector and a Category 5e Ethernet cable.
- Set your computer’s operating system (Windows, Macintosh, Linux, etc.) to use the following convention: IP to use DHCP.
- For Windows laptops, under TCP/IP Properties click [obtain IP address automatically].
NOTE: While library staff will try to help when you need technical support, they are not responsible for your equipment. Please refer to the owner’s manual for your equipment.
Catalog Computers: Search the catalog from any computer in the building. Special catalog-only stations are located throughout both floors of the library.
All Computers (Except catalog):
All have the following default software. See lists below for additional specialty software.
- Internet Explorer
- Mozilla Firefox
- DVD & Music Player
- CD Burning Software
- Corel PhotoImpact X3
- Corel Media One
- Microsoft Office 2007
-Word, Excel, Access, Publisher, PowerPoint, Movie Maker 2
Kids’ Library North
(First-come, first-served-no reservation)
- Educational Games for young kids
Kids’ Library South
(May be reserved with an EPL card)
- Educational Games for older kids.
Info Commons & Teen Area (May be reserved with an EPL card)
- Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing
- Open Book
- Zoom Text
- Dragon Naturally Speaking
- JAWS Professional
Assistive Technology Room (May be reserved with an EPL card)
- Powered adjustable-height workstation
- Dragon Naturally Speaking
- Magic Touch screen enlarger
- JAWS Professional
- Zoom Text
- Write Outloud
- Kurzweil 3000
Creative (Art) Computing (May be reserved with an EPL card)
- Adobe Creative Suite 5 Master Collection (CS5)
-Acrobat Pro, After Effects Pro, Contribute, Dreamweaver, Encore, Fireworks, Flash, Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Premiere Pro(CS4), Soundbooth
- Scanner (Picture/Negatives/Slides Scanning)
- OmniPage v16 (Text/OCR Scanning)
- DVD Burner
Elmhurst Public Library offers classes for learning about computers in the 2nd floor in the computer lab. Classes are offered in the following areas:
• Introduction to Computers (1 and 2)
• Internet basics (1 and 2)
• Microsoft Office Software:
For more information, click here for class descriptions.
A NOTE ON FILTERING:
In compliance with the federally mandated provisions of the Children’s Internet Protection Act, the Elmhurst Public Library filters all Internet access. Computers on the first floor in the Kids’ Library are filtered for more categories of information than on the second floor.
In accordance with the Supreme Court ruling on this legislation, patrons over 17 are allowed to view sites for research purposes. If a neccessary site is blocked, bring your photo ID to the 2nd Floor Information Desk for assistance.
Chat, instant messaging, and social networking sites are not available in the Kids’ Library.
For full details, see the Library's Filtering Information.
ASK A STAFF MEMBER IF YOU NEED HELP OR HAVE QUESTIONS!